1 unit for Year 11
Board Developed Category A
Exclusions: English Standard; English Studies; English EAL/D
Co-requisite: Students are expected to be studying or have studied English Advanced Year 11 Course.
Course Costs: $10.00
In the English Extension Year 11 Course, students explore the ways in which aspects and concerns of texts from the past have been carried forward, borrowed from and/or appropriated into more recent culture. They consider how and why cultural values are maintained and changed.
The course has one mandatory module: Texts, Culture and Value as well as a related research project.
Students will develop skills to work independently to experiment with language forms, features and structures and to engage with complex levels of conceptualisation.
Particular Course Requirements
Across Stage 6 the selection of texts should give students experience of the following as appropriate:
- texts which are widely regarded as quality literature, including a range of literary texts written about intercultural experiences and the peoples and cultures of Asia
- a range of Australian texts, including texts by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander authors and those that give insights into diverse experiences of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- a range of types of texts drawn from prose fiction, drama, poetry, nonfiction, film, media, multimedia and digital texts.
Year 11 students are required to:
- examine a key text from the past and its manifestations in one or more recent cultures
- explore, analyse and critically evaluate different examples of such texts in a range of contexts and media
- undertake a related research project.